As a language-obsessed person, I want B to also learn different languages. Since his parents are natives of two different languages, of course he's learned both (English and Polish) so that - most importantly - he can communicate with his grandparents and relatives. I speak to him in English even when we are out and about. Especially at playgrounds, this always gets the same response.
1. Ambitious child.
This one is my favorite response, because it's usually so random. Kids will recognize that I'm speaking English and will blurt out the first words that come to mind. The best was when a girl started singing Rain, Rain Go Away.
2. Staring.
Usually this is from a child, who hears that I'm not speaking Polish and may mention that to a friend or parent. But usually it's just staring. Sometimes it's an adult who stated, but then it usually leads to the next point.
3. Ambitious parent
The parent recognizes that I'm speaking English and wants their kid to listen and learn or take example or something. The exchange usually goes like this:
Parent: Piotruś, did you hear the lady speaking English? What words did you hear? You should listen.
Piotruś: Wut?
Of course, most ignore me and most don't think I speak Polish also. Playground season is coming up soon, so maybe I'll meet more people with different reactions.
Comments
Post a Comment