Skip to main content

It's Not Okay - Andi Dorfman

My mom and I have this tradition: when we're together, we binge-watch episodes of The Bachelor or The Bachelorette. The most memorable season we watched together was, of course, Juan Pablo's. This time around, we watched Nick's season. 

When we finished this season, we decided to also read this book, which had also been talked about a lot on Bachelor in Paradise. This book, It's Not Okay was written by Andi Dorfman, who was one of the contestants on Juan Pablo's season, and was also later a Bachelorette.

In all honesty, I have a hard time remembering which Bachelor/Bachelorette contestants are who, as they all seem about the same to me (think: Saturday Night Live's parody). I had the hardest time remembering the difference between Andi and Caitlin, for example, but both struck me as being normal enough ladies, who were smart and successful (Andi's a lawyer) and interesting (Caitlin was hilarious). 

I was so wrong about Andi. After reading this, I have much less respect for her.


Andi come off as totally shallow and rude in this book, to put it frankly. The conversation that made that very clear to me happened when she went to the bar to audition for The Bachelor. The girl taking Andi's name spells her name wrong. Then when she asks where Andi is from, Andi says "here" and the girl looks confused, so Andi clarifies that "here" is the city of Atlanta and adds, "again, puzzled look. Am I the idiot here?" Maybe not, but you're definitely rude.

I thought Andi was probably smarter than some, as she's an attorney. But, as she says herself, there sre some real idiots in the field. Combined with her comments that she took really easy classes in college and didn't really try that hard at all (Andi took a class that was "E-A-S-Y", as she writes - so easy that the final project was a "how to" and one student's project was on how to chill a beer in less than two minutes). Right.

That was a disappointing revelation, as I was under the impression that she was a contestant who was more my style than the others. Nope. Not only did she come off as extremely judgmental and rude in her book, she also came off as a bit of a lunatic. I can't relate to someone who goes through a breakup and burns the other person's stuff.... and her own stuff as well. Not only that, but she stayed at her friend's house for months instead of finding a new place. That friend must be a total angel.

One thing Andi went on and on about in the book was the conversation in the fantasy suite with Nick where he asked if she'd rather make love or fuck. It came up OVER AND OVER again. Not only did it come up in the book several times, but in Nick's season of The Bachelor, she had an appearance on the show and brought it up AGAIN, although they had supposedly resolved everything before the book was published. I'm not sure if that was the Bachelor producers milking that story line or what, but it makes Andi seem obsessive.

I did like the book's setup - it was written as a diary, but it also included advice, which was weird: you don't give your diary advice. At least I don't think you do. This book seems to have been marketed as a self-help book for ladies going through a hard breakup. If this is your reason for reading this book: don't. Andi didn't handle her own breakup well, so I'm not entirely sure she'd be the best one to go to for advice on how to successfully make it through a breakup. At one point, she ran out of clothes, used Febreeze, but then used Fabreeze too much and instead of washing the clothes, she went to buy more. LAUNDRY, do your laundry!

I was hoping for more behind-the-scenes information. Andi definitely knew that's the reason people would buy and read her book. There's some insight into what happens when making the show, but not much. Mostly the book contains descriptions of Andi's terrible breakup. With an emphasis on how it's not her fault - it's only his. Although she knew in the back of her mind for months that he was emotionally abusive and something wasn't right.

She spent the entire book bashing "Number 26" and describing how he emotionally abused her. And yet her solution to get over him was to have sex with him ("what says "fuck you" to a man louder than literally fucking him?"). She explains that it's her way of getting over him and boasts about how she's the one that's in control after having sex with him one last time. But I'm not sure she realizes that he probably just wanted a booty call as well and he most likely doesn't care that she won't call again. 

I found myself spacing out a lot while reading, because it was almost way too easy of a read. The parts where I was able to focus just annoyed me, as you can see from my comments above. This book was frustrating, in that it didn't give me what I had expected (behind-the-scenes info) and it also was the ramblings of a person who I ended up really not liking. The good thing about this was that I could read a passage and turn to my mom to be like, "are you kidding me!?!"

Overall as a book, it's an easy read with some interesting Bachelor/Bachelorette gossip. If you're a fan, then it might be worth a read if you want something light. If you're not a fan, avoid this at all costs. If you read it with someone else as a guilty pleasure, go for it.

Rating: 1/5
Pages: 320
Recenzja powstała w ramach wyzwania WyPożyczone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Queen of the Night - Alexander Chee

I'm a big fan of opera, so after reading the book's description, I was very interested. The book is this: Lilliet Berne is a famous opera in Paris, but she has a hidden past that only four people know about. An original role is presented to her that turns out to be based on her hidden past. The plot of the story is Lilliet going through her past - from a child in America to a hippodrome rider to a courtesan to a maid to a singer - to figure out who's told her secrets. The one big thing that bothered me about this book: all throughout, she was very clever recreating herself and finding the necessary connections to keep herself alive and safe. Except at the end - suddenly she becomes totally clueless. I also have basically no knowledge of France and French, so the references were sometimes lost on me. The big gossip that I am, I loved the intrigue and drama that made up Lilliet's life, though many parts were just sad. The text is a bit dense and har...

Returning

Well, I spent the second half of 2018 in the hospital. You'd think I would've been bored and blogged more, but nope. I was bored, but didn't feel like doing anything. All that time in a Polish hospital, especially as an American, was very... Interesting. I learned a lot - like how to be patient - and actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Maybe this time I'll actually keep going with the blog stuff ? I'm thinking of doing a challenge this year: the A-Z Challenge, and reading one book for each letter of the alphabet. I'm currently working on the letter S, but I don't like the book. Here's a list of what I read in the hospital: Glennkill Half a King Half the World Half a War Mord im Orient Express Scrappy Little Nobody Norse Mythology Howl's Moving Castle Kiss Quotient Bad Bachelor Cream of the Crop - didn't like, didn't finish Caraval Bad Bachelor 2 Heat Wave Unquiet Past Invisib...

Born A Crime - Trevor Noah

It's pretty apparent from the books I've read in the past that I'm a fan of the Daily Show . I was a huge fan of it when Jon Stewart hosted and, like most, I was a bit wary of the change - I had never heard of Trevor Noah before. His first show was awkward, but I kept watching and now am an even bigger fan of Trevor Noah as the host. If you quit watching after Jon Stewart left or if you're not so sure about watching: just go watch. I've read a lot of books-from-television this year. And this is another one of those. It's a completely different book from what I had expected, but Born a Crime by Trevor Noah is so very much worth the read. This book is a-ma-zing. I had expected (again, not really fully reading the book's summary before reading) a book similar to the memoirs that other comedians have written - a book that touches on the comedian's childhood, but moves quickly onto their career and experiences at work. Not this book, and that'...