Three things learned today:
1. Poland only accepts Polish documents.
Married in the US, I need a Polish marriage license in order to get a visa of any sort. That means going to a government office in K and talking it out with the random government employee who does not understand my American birth certificate or marriage license at all.
"This looks like a copy to me. I need the original." [certified copy of the marriage license]
"Anyone can perform the marriage? At any location? This just sounds silly!" [sorry?]
"Where was the marriage performed? I just see this paragraph here!" [please, just read further...]
"Where is the city of birth? I see county of birth, but no city. I need a city - the form is asking me for a city!" [she eventually just put down the county]
Additionally, A. can't use his international birth certificate (issued by Poland); he can only use the Polish one (also issued by Poland).
No, he cannot use the free copies. He has to pay 22 zl. for it. And no, he can't just pay 22 zl. He has to drive all the way to Kn to pay and get the copy, and then drive it back.
2. Americans don't make illegal documents.
This was said by the same government employee who didn't understand my documents. She had us come back another day because she needed to verify that my marriage license and birth certificate were, in fact, original and true documents. We asked how she did this - do government employees have access to a source that shows examples of documents from all countries?
No, she asked a friend who said Americans don't fake documents.
3. Ignoring paperwork for two weeks makes something magical happen.
Now, we can get the Polish marriage license in two weeks after it has the "final decision". What happens during these two weeks, you ask? The paperwork sits in a folder in her desk. Because that's what the law says.
1. Poland only accepts Polish documents.
Married in the US, I need a Polish marriage license in order to get a visa of any sort. That means going to a government office in K and talking it out with the random government employee who does not understand my American birth certificate or marriage license at all.
"This looks like a copy to me. I need the original." [certified copy of the marriage license]
"Anyone can perform the marriage? At any location? This just sounds silly!" [sorry?]
"Where was the marriage performed? I just see this paragraph here!" [please, just read further...]
"Where is the city of birth? I see county of birth, but no city. I need a city - the form is asking me for a city!" [she eventually just put down the county]
Additionally, A. can't use his international birth certificate (issued by Poland); he can only use the Polish one (also issued by Poland).
No, he cannot use the free copies. He has to pay 22 zl. for it. And no, he can't just pay 22 zl. He has to drive all the way to Kn to pay and get the copy, and then drive it back.
2. Americans don't make illegal documents.
This was said by the same government employee who didn't understand my documents. She had us come back another day because she needed to verify that my marriage license and birth certificate were, in fact, original and true documents. We asked how she did this - do government employees have access to a source that shows examples of documents from all countries?
No, she asked a friend who said Americans don't fake documents.
3. Ignoring paperwork for two weeks makes something magical happen.
Now, we can get the Polish marriage license in two weeks after it has the "final decision". What happens during these two weeks, you ask? The paperwork sits in a folder in her desk. Because that's what the law says.
Comments
Post a Comment